Mothers' Rights In Georgia

Parental rights laws in Georgia and across the nation are increasingly gender-blind, but there are still situations in which mothers have certain rights that fathers do not. One key factor is whether parents are married when a child is born. When a child is born out of wedlock, the mother automatically has sole legal custody and the father has no legal rights concerning that child unless paternity is legally established.

Learn more about your parental rights at a free phone consultation. Call Hecht Family Law at 678-926-9234.

If a child's mother and father are married, both parents have equal legal rights concerning that child. When parents are legally separated or in the process of divorcing and the issue of child custody is before the court, the court will use what's referred to as the best interests of the child (BIC) standard to determine physical and legal custody. The court will consider the relationship of the child with each parent and generally will not make a determination based solely on the gender of the parent.

The Right To Collect Child Support

A mother has the right to collect child support from the father once paternity has been established, whether or not the father has established any legal right to the child. The courts handle the father's responsibility to support his child separately from the father's right or ability to have a physical or legal relationship with that child. This means that a father can be ordered by the court to pay child support to the mother even if that father has no legal claim to custody and doesn't see the child.

We Can Help You Seek Child Support You Are Entitled To

If you are a mother seeking to collect child support, it is critical that you have competent legal counsel. Call Hecht Family Law in Alpharetta at 678-926-9234 to discuss your case with a lawyer, or send us a message online. Attorney Ed Hecht will educate you about your rights and responsibilities and help you through your parental rights issue.