Your Parenting Plan Should Fit Your Family

When a divorce with children or a child custody action is before the court in Georgia, the parties will be required to prepare a parenting plan and present it to the court.

Certain issues will be addressed, including which parent has legal decision-making rights and when the child will spend time with each parent. The parents can either each submit a draft of the parenting plan to the court or work together and jointly create a parenting plan.

Hecht Family Law in Alpharetta can provide the legal guidance and prompt communication that you need. By focusing on divorce and child matters, our lawyer is prepared to answer complex questions regarding your specific situation. As a single father of two, founding attorney Ed Hecht can provide the insight and perspective that come from personally going through these challenges. Call 678-926-9234 to talk to Ed Hecht today.

The Best Interests Of The Child

Many times, parenting plans are fraught with inconsistencies and ambiguities that may be misinterpreted by you or the other parent, leading to needless confusion, thwarted holiday or vacation plans, additional emergency litigation, or accusations of noncompliance or contempt. When this happens, your children get caught in the middle.

The court may use the assistance of a guardian ad litem (GAL) if the proceedings are extremely adverse and there is much animosity between the parties. The GAL is a neutral third party whose sole duty is to protect the rights and interests of the child.

The court considers what is in the best interests of the child (BIC) when making its determination on the visitation schedule. Parents are encouraged to work together to make the transition as easy as possible for the children, and failure to follow the court's order may result in a contempt action.

Another consideration for parents is that when grandparents have an active role in the child's life, they can come forth and request visitation, too. The court will consider the request and, depending upon what the court views to be in the child's best interest, may grant the grandparents visitation over the objection of one or even both parents.

Make Sure Your Plan Works

With questions about parenting plans or visitation rights, do not hesitate to contact our firm for a free phone consultation. We can be reached by phone at 678-926-9234 or through our convenient online contact form.