Divorce FAQs

At Hecht Family Law, we understand the worry and fear that accompany a serious family law matter. Our founding attorney, Ed Hecht, is a single father of two children. He has navigated the divorce process and can provide clients with his insight and perspective in the matter.

Numerous questions can come up before or during a divorce. We've collected a few of the most commonly asked questions on our website. We encourage you to call 678-926-9234 or email the firm to discuss your own matter in greater detail in a free phone consultation.

What is the difference between legal separation and divorce?

In Georgia, a legal separation does not dissolve the marriage, but provides for the granting of spousal and child support and other property division decrees. Many couples might choose a separation over divorce for religious, financial or medical reasons. Alternatively, couples might not be convinced that the marriage is over and will wish to explore the notion of separation rather than the finality of divorce.

Should we fill out a prenup?

Prenuptial agreements or premarital agreements serve an important function in any marriage. In short, they let couples clearly identify the property, assets or debts they are bringing into a marriage. Should divorce become a reality, this document provides a clear picture regarding nonmarital assets. Essentially, lawyers recommend having a prenuptial agreement in case the couple ultimately chooses to separate. A prenup can alleviate many hours of negotiation regarding what's yours and what's your spouse's.

How is spousal support determined?

Numerous factors are carefully examined to come up with a fair, accurate determination of spousal support. Also called alimony, spousal support is important in helping the less independent party gain a stable financial footing. The court will examine the financial status of each party as well as contributions to the marriage and elements of child custody. It is important to have an attorney on your side who can ensure that your rights are protected throughout the process.

Can I modify my child support payments?

In the months and years following a divorce, it is likely that your financial circumstances will change. Whether through job loss, reduction in hours, medical emergency or property catastrophe, you might see a significant change in what you can pay. Do not attempt to come to a verbal agreement with your ex — work with an experienced attorney to ensure that your modifications are legally binding and enforceable.

More questions? We encourage you to contact us for a free consultation at our Alpharetta firm to discuss your matter in greater detail.