CALL NOW for a FREE Phone Consultation!
Phone Icon678-926-9234
Speak with Attorney Ed Hecht live 7 days/week 8am—9pm

Reasons to ask for child custody changes

Some Georgia parents who are subject to an existing child custody order may want to ask for a modification. This may be done in the event that they think that the child may be in danger. If a child is in immediate danger, a judge may order a modification right away. A modification may also be made if children say that they don't want to live with the custodial parent.

If a parent chooses to relocate, this may be grounds for modifying an existing order. Whether or not a modification is granted depends on the reason why a parent is relocating and whether or not doing so makes it impossible to stick to the original custody schedule. When a parent ignores the custody schedule, it may be possible to ask that it be changed to reflect the lack of interest.

In the event that a child's custodial parent passes away, a court may need to look at whether the noncustodial parent should assume full custody. A judge will look at whether the child desires to live with the noncustodial parent or with a third party. Other factors that will be considered include whether a noncustodial parent makes enough money to raise the child or otherwise has the time to do so properly.

In a child custody dispute, the best interests of the child are generally a top priority. Therefore, a parent may need to show how modifying a child custody order benefits his or her son or daughter when asking for changes. An attorney may be able to help a parent present evidence that may show that the child is in danger or has a noncustodial parent who is not interested in conforming to an existing order.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Ask Us Your QuestionsSubmit this form, and you’ll hear from us very soon.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Hecht Family Law
12600 Deerfield Pkwy
Suite 125
Alpharetta, GA 30004

Phone: 678-926-9234
Alpharetta Law Office Map

review us